A Brief History of
Hanslope Village Hall

Hanslope Village Hall began life as Hanslope 'Top School' in the area of the Village known, due to its proximity to St James the Great, as Church End
It was built around 1840, financed by Squire Edward Watts of Hanslope Park

Hanslope School 1925

Squire Watts

Squire Edward Watts

Children had been previously educated in the Vicarage House funded by the Pierrepoint Charity. The Hanslope Feoffee Charity funded the school from 1877, until it was handed over to the Hanslope School Board

In 1908 it was merged with another school and the building was managed by the Hanslope Sunday School Endowment

Church End School - interior 1925

Curch End School

Church End 'Top School', interior and exterior, around 1925

Around 1872 a second school was built at Green End, known as the 'Bottom School'  
In 1935 the Top School building was transferred to the Sunday School Endowment and a Trust established.

When the pupils moved to the newly-built Primary School in the 1960s, the Top School then ceased to exist as a school and the building became known as 'The Church Institute' and served as the Parish Hall

At that point the building was in a very poor state of repair and after much negotiation and discussions The Hanslope Village Hall Trust Charity was established in 1979 which leased the building for forty years from the Hanslope Sunday School Trust

With the aid of a grant and with a major fundraising effort the building was enlarged. The main hall was doubled in size; a toilet block was added and a modern kitchen created

The completely refurbished building was officially opened in 1982, by actor Brian Wilde
Amongst his best known roles are Mr Barrowclough in Porridge, and 'Foggy' Dewhurst in Last of the Summer Wine

Plaque

Thanks to the Hanslope and District Historical Society for sourcing of some images